SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Lesbian Shower

Our friends Liz and Jess last night told us that they told their lesbian posse of 8 basketball players that we were pregnant. One of the ballers said, "That hot girl is pregnant?" Ingrid said, "You've still got it, baby!" I felt pretty proud, and kicked up my heels right on 6th Avenue. Then Liz told us that their friend KerryAnn, an attorney who ran the NYC marathon this year, wants to have a lesbian baby shower for us. I thought that was about the sweetest thing I'd ever heard. Thanks KerryAnn!

Next week I go back to St. Vincent's for an "UltraScreen," a first-course, noninvasive test that involves taking blood and a sonogram to monitor the fetus to test for chromosomal abnormalities, particularly Down Syndrome. After this test, they can tell us our odds about whether our fetus might be chromosomally disordered. Right now, as a 35-year-old woman, my odds right off the bat are about 1 in 350 to have a child with Down Syndrome. This test fine tunes those odds a bit. People are asking if we're doing the genetic testing. Everyone has an opinion, as most people do about all aspects of pregnancy. Ingrid and I didn't want to do any testing at first. Now we're doing the first course. A second course of testing is an amniocentesis, which is invasive and carries a small risk of miscarriage. Off the bat, we don't want to do that, but I guess we'll see how the first test goes.

Last night I had a salad with grilled shrimp for dinner. I love shrimp, and I almost hurled. I had to order a hamburger. A hamburger! The shrimp really left a horrid taste in my mouth. Speaking of bad taste, Britney celebrated her 25th birthday this weekend. Happy birthday, Brit!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, Liz, hamburgers are so much more mouth watering than skrimps. I think this whole pregnancy thing is refining your taste buds.

And there is a seafood lover in me.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home