SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Friday, August 17, 2007

Clyde Separation Anxiety

So Clare, the nanny, started part time yesterday. So far, so good. She came for a few hours yesterday morning, until about 1, and it worked out OK. After she left, I tried to get Clyde to sleep in her crib--which she has been avoiding, as it is too big or uncomfortable or scary or something--and finally, she took a FOUR-HOUR nap in her crib. I worried she wouldn't sleep at night then, but she did, fine. We watched Carnal Knowledge, a great old Mike Nichols movie with classic Jack Nicholson and amazing Candice Bergen and Ann-Margret, and Clyde fell asleep partway through that, and only woke up once to feed before 6 am.

Today Clare came and I went to the gym. First spin class since delivery, and it was really good. It felt good to finally have a strenuous workout (this was after doing a half hour of Namaste yoga on Fit TV with Clyde--I put her on a blanket near my yoga mat and I kiss her and do poses over the top of her and talk to her throughout).

When I got back, Clare wanted to take Clyde for a walk in her stroller, to check out where the nearby parks are in the area. In my head, I was like, "That's what I do! Not someone else!" She said they'd be gone about an hour. After that hour, I started looking out the window every 2 minutes. I started getting anxious. I wondered if I should call and check in on them but I want to exhibit trust in Clare and let them have some independent time to get to know each other. So I didn't call. After about an hour and a half, I started getting nervous and finally, Clare called me. They were at a park a few blocks away, and under a tree it was breezy and Clyde was napping. Clare said they wanted to stay out just a bit longer and I said fine.

But I missed Clyde. Bad. So I walked over to the park. Not to check on Clare but to visit Clyde and make sure they were doing OK. I was getting so sad and anxious. But didn't want to seem controlling or panicky. I got to the park, and they were fine, looking very peaceful, under a tree, and Clyde was sleeping, Clare, watching the birds.

I think the nanny will be loving and good with Clyde. But still, it doesn't make it any easier. Finally, I mopped the floors to keep my mind off my anxiety.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

What a beautiful, vulnerable blog entry. Clyde is so lucky to have two mommies who love her so much.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home