SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Eating for Two?

I've gained 9 lbs so far, in my 14th week. I think I might be gaining weight too fast; Ingrid says my old eating-disordered habits are kicking in. I was watching the Today Show at the gym, and Meredith was dispelling myths your mother told you, including that when you're pregnant, you're "eating for two." A medical expert said in the first trimester, you're supposed to only eat an extra 150 calories, and in the second and third trimesters, an extra 300, a day. 150 a day! I ate like 1,000 extra calories a day in the first trimester. That might be the problem. But Tiny is HUNGRY!

Meanwhile, what do people think of the Miss America scandal? Isn't the pageant a crazy, outdated sexist institution anyway? How can we call this woman out for her partying when we make Paris Hilton and Britney the heroes of our culture right now? Nick, I know you're the only one reading: What do you think?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been loosely following this pageant winner scandal. I have always found pageants to be a little creepy. It really is a whole culture of appearances (what you wear, how your body is, how you speak). I went to college with this woman, Katie Killacky, and she was a pageant girl and it really took our acting professors a lot to shake that world out of her and get something real emotions to the surface.

I kind of like that this girl is doing this, being real. It may not be the best role model, especially for young women, but as you point out, LW, is the pageant world a place we want our young women looking towards as it is? Either way, as they pointed out on the Today show this morning, she is making more of a name for herself in this scandal than most Miss Whomevers ever do. So, if fame is what she wants, she is playing her cards right.

Wait. What's her name again?

2:52 PM  
Blogger GeekyDad said...

ehh the Miss America got off easy. It's the teen one that got the lost crown. I heard was some tape surfaced where she was drunk in a bar and kissed a guy and girl. Was the whole scandle.

I don't care. As a guy I'v never actually gone after the "beauty" one. My life they generally are the one's that physically connect with but not much more.

Now that everything has happened from Rosie and all to me it's like Bill Clinton getting ticked at Dave and every other comic for making luid jokes. There comedian's and they are syndicated. It's not like me tunning on the radio here in Dallas and listening to Russ Martin. He does things that are with in the city. David Letterman talks about New York but not that much. Many people won't get those jokes because we don't all live in NYC. So you talk about things anyone can know about. That and to me he just trying to make up for things he lacks.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home