SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Pregnancy Police

I've read about this concept of "The Pregnancy Police"--those people who don't know you that well, but who think they know what is best for you during your pregnancy. Like everyone who warned me on my trip to Paris last weekend not to eat any cheese. Or the people I've been out to dinner with who have joked, "There'd better not be any alcohol in that, young lady." It's MY baby, not yours!

Last night we had drinks (yes, I had seltzer) with our friends Liz and Jessica. Jessica's sister-in-law is also pregnant--6 weeks along. It's her third child. She told me once she was out, during her last pregnancy, and saw an OB that is in the same medical group as her OB, at a restaurant. She said to the doctor, "The goat cheese salad is my favorite. Ooops, I'm sorry! I had goat cheese." The OB said to her, "In 35 years of treating pregnant women, I've never seen a single case of listeria." Listeriosis is a bacteria--what they warn you could happen if you eat unpasteurized cheese or meats. That's why everyone screams about eating stinky or soft cheeses, and cured meats, etc.

Our friend Nick saw me for the first time since I announced my pregnancy last night, and he was rubbing my belly, saying, "I want it to get to know me!" I loved that! Nick, Tiny is already knowing you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home