SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Please note my new blog title!

Thanks Lauren, my friend who came up with this great title! I wanted to use BabyFreak, or MommyFreak, but both of those were taken already. I like SuperOva, because with a lesbian household, you have twice as many eggs and estrogen (hopefully) than in a hetero house. Also, Lauren is a music writer, and I like the veiled reference to one of Liz Phair's songs, before Liz Phair got Matrix-ized. If anyone has any other suggs for a name, let me know!

This weekend my mom took my Vietnamese grandma out shopping and to drop the news that we're pregnant. I was a little nervous because I just came out to my grandma two years ago, and I haven't actually totally come out to my grandpa. He's the father of 8 children, and is very stoic and just sort of smokes and watches over every family occasion, with few words.

My grandma got tears in her eyes, and told my mom what a cute baby I was, and how happy she was for Ingrid and me. She then asked how Ingrid's family took the news, and how close we were to Ingrid's family. Pretty cute. The next night my grandpa called my mom and said he was very happy for Ingrid and me, and happy to have another great-grandchild. I guess that's as good as it can get, huh?

This weekend is the Eberly 36th annual Christmas party in Mechanicsburg, PA. I have been waiting NINE years to go to this party pregnant, because as far as we know, we are the only openly gay people in the community. Of course, there are other gays and lesbians (and a shitload of trannies in Harrisburg, where we think there is a sex-reassignment clinic maybe) in Mechanicsburg, but none in the Eberlys' community, that we know of. Year after year, we play with everyone else's kids and grandkids, and finally, it is the Eberlys' turn to have some attention on our future family, which I am thrilled about. I think bringing visibility to lesbian and gay families might rock their world a little bit, and I hope I'm ready for it. The personal is political, Gloria! (Plus, I'm superexcited for the Swedish meatball tray and the peanut brittle--both staples of the Christmas party.)

PS My friend Jen's friend gained SEVENTY lbs during her pregnancy. I fear for my future, I really do, but Ingrid feels like if I get huge, it will kind of be karma. Mom, I want a postchildbirth trainer, if you're still taking suggestions for Christmas gifts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home