SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Friday, January 05, 2007

17 weeks, and "I won't miss that asshole"

This is what 17 weeks looks like. Not too dramatically different from 16 weeks.

The other night we had dinner with our friends Esther and Paul, who have a 2-month-old. Paul was talking about changing Luke's diapers, and Paul said, "I'm not sure if we are going to have more kids or not, but if we don't, believe me, I won't miss seeing that asshole every two hours."

Esther had a childbirth at St. Vincent's, with a doula and NO PAIN MEDICATION. I was bowing down to her. She said it's rough, really rough. She said having the doula was absolutely necessary for her--not just a luxury, and she really recommended we hire one. I've been resisting the doula concept because of the "doula mafia," a concept a friend of mine came up with, wherein the doulas pressure you not to use an epidural, to do the childbirth as naturally as possible, etc. Who wants additional pressure when you're already pressured as a pre-parent?

Ingrid says I'd better start writing more about celebrities, that the blog is losing focus. I said, "It has been the holidays and Britney's been keeping quiet!" But, over New Year's Eve, she passed out after reportedly too many champagne cocktails. Then, the Post published this picture saying she looks bloated, haggard and old. I can identify. But Britney's checked into a "spa" in Arizona, and has vowed to get her shit together, for her own sake, her kids' and her fans'. She's had her bender moment, now baby's gonna get back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, Liz! I love that lacy/satin-y number.

You were always a hot mama to me, but now (while you're still hot) you are really with child! So cool.

5:13 AM  
Blogger GeekyDad said...

okay I know I'm a guy and all but no pain meds? WTF?!! Ouch!!! Jesus. The other person's poor friggin hand lol. Okay, okay just meant to be a joke. No seriously though as a guy to go through that much pain. Hell no.

You know what is truelly twisted? Some doctor wants it so that way men can have babies. I don't have a clue how they are going to achieve this I guess coming out of the ass I guess but ummm any guy who does that got alot of guts.

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Doula mafia" -- ?? What about the mafia of random outsiders trying to convince you long before your first contraction to commit to HAVE an epidural? ...Are you feeling more social pressure right now to get an epidural, or to give birth naturally? Did your friend with the "theory" actually hire a doula who coerced her into med-free birth despite her insistent wishes for medical intervention?? From someone who's been there, IF you're even slightly interested in a more natural childbirth, getting a doula is the way to go. I've never heard of one preventing you from getting meds if that what you want (and believe me, in labor we women are plenty assertive) - they just support you, make you feel attended to in a way no labor nurse (let alone MD) has time to, thereby reducing your pain level and risk of needing meds.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, you are hilarious, Liz. And ballsy, for posing! Love it!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home