SuperOva

A cheap but charming NYC lesbian mom muses about muses about consumerism and wanting the good life, without having to pay top dollar for it. (Oh, and with some random ramblings about her own extended family, parenting toddlers, the NYC school system, fashion, Lindsay Lohan, and other fun stuff.)

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

It's been ages since I've blogged, and to be honest, I'm kind of overwhelmed. I've been invited to join these social networking sites, MySpace, and LinkedIn, and I have joined, even though I feel like I am 100 years old and can't see the use of these sites. Like, isn't sending someone an email enough? Can someone tell me, where can I post video from my digital camera so that people can see videos of Baby Clyde?

Clyde is almost four months and is an amazing, beautiful, alert baby. More and more changes every day. But this entry isn't about that.

This is a rant. To have Ingrid become Clyde's legal mother, we have to do a second-parent adoption proceeding. We have to apply to have Ingrid adopt Clyde, and to do so, we had to have a social worker visit our house and inspect our relationship with Clyde, and we have to put together all these documents---our address history for the last 20 years, our domestic partnership paperwork, our financial documents, our health records, a doctor's note saying we are both healthy, reference letters from nonfamily members, etc. etc. etc. And fingerprints.

We have to be fingerprinted to ensure we don't have a criminal record. Fingerprints are taken at the local police station. You have to make an appointment. We did that last Friday. The appointments are between 10 and 1 Monday through Friday. Not a great schedule for someone who works 9 to 5. Then you need a money order for $15.

Due to a misunderstanding between me and the woman who is new working at the front desk of the police station, I thought we needed a money order for $16. But it's $15. And they won't accept the MO for $16. So I have to go back to the bank and pay another $7 to get a money order for $15. It's something out of Kafka's descent into hell. Bureaucratic hell.

Additionally, once we got to the police station we discovered you need a valid ID, one that has your current address. Both our driver's licenses have our last address. This was our fault, not the police station's. But annoying nonetheless. So today we waited online at the DMV for an hour to get a change of address. $15. They accept cash, thank the Lord.

I ask, Straight people don't have to do this! But we do? Ingrid says, rightfully, "Some straight people do adopt." But still, it's annoying, when Ingrid has been part of the planning of Clyde's conception for two years plus now. I can rant, though, can't I?

Meanwhile, I'm back at work. For four weeks now. It's going amazingly well! Mostly because my schedule is awesome: I come in at 10 and leave at 5, and work from home on Fridays. A friend pointed out that this is, by NYC standards, a part-time job. With full-time pay. There's worse things, I guess. Like having to get fingerprinted....

Oh and one more rant: I can't pump enough breast milk during the day to keep up with the amount Clyde now eats in a day--15 to 18 oz while I am gone--This little Piggy is going to have to start eating formula and smashed peas soon, I am afraid... Unless someone else wants to donate some breast milk???

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It Absolutely sucks what you have to go through to adopt.

I feel for you both. As you know we have been through it twice.

Love Jess

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home